Since the dawn of time there has been the inexplicable bond of sisters.
I am very close to my own sister, so I was chuffed to bits when my second baby was a girl, a little sister for my eldest.
Sadly, my eldest wasn’t as thrilled as I was for, ooooh, about two years?
But now I can see the bond starting to form, and they too are learning what it means to be sisters:
1. The total delight at seeing your sister get into trouble, revelling in smug smiles and licking up to your parents to highlight just how much of a shit your sister has been. There’s nothing quite like it!
2. Then there is the unbreakable bond of misery as you go down together, cursing your parents and your totally unfair, unhappy lives!
3. It is perfectly acceptable to play the blame game to save yourself. It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there after all, and it’s up to you to teach your sister that.
4. At home, you can ignore, deny or slam the door on your sister to your heart’s content. In unknown territory, however, blood is thicker than water and you will cling to each other like Velcro.
5. There exists a unique and bitter hatred between sisters when a game is not being played correctly.
6. There are also the many, many in-jokes that nobody else will ever get, and that will drive your parents crazy with the incessant giggling.
7. It is your birth right to slag off and give out about your sister. But God help any other person that tries to do it! Wagons will be circled…
8. They say ‘neither a borrower or a lender be’. Unless it’s your sister then you can take, take, take to your heart’s content!
9. But remember, no one else has lived the childhood you have, and that is the unbreakable bond of sisterhood.